Base Quantum will be attending the upcoming International Construction Law Association (ICLA) Conference in Beijing from 21 to 22 October. Alongside Emma Honeysett, Christopher Ennis (Vice Chairman of the ICLA and Chairman of the UK Society of Construction Law) of our associated company, TQEF will also be attending. If you would like to meet us whilst in China, please email email@example.com.
The conference will be focusing on the “One Belt One Road” initiative, which is China’s plan to build up a network of infrastructure including railways, roads, utility grids and pipelines following the ancient “Silk Road” and “Maritime Silk Road” – a challenge not only in Asia, but also far beyond. It will bring together renowned experts, lawyers, professors and judges who specialise in international construction law to discuss and debate the opportunities, challenges and relevant topics affecting the One Belt One Road project.
The topics and issues that will be covered at the conference includes:
- What is One Belt One Road? Why is it important? How will it be achieved?
- Construction in Russia – key items to consider
- The different methods of tendering and procurement and types of construction contracts
- International standard forms of contract – are they the right approach?
- The key jurisdictions of law
- Addressing risks in standard forms and across legal systems
- Site access and different physical/ground conditions
- Design obligations – who owns this risk?
- Accounting for the risks of force majeure and currency fluctuations
- Delay damages
- Contract management – claims and disputes
- Alternative dispute resolution
- International arbitration
Established in May 2015, the International Construction Law Association works in bringing together all the families of law from around the globe and informing and debating comparatively on construction law issues. Dr Wolfgang Breyer and Mr Christopher Ennis led the initiative by gathering together leading lawyers, barristers, construction professionals, judges, academics, universities and institutions from around the globe specialising in international construction law.
You can find out more about the conference, along with the ICLA here.